Thursday, February 16, 2006

Incident: Asphyxiation deaths, Afghanistan

Word (thanks AC) of the possible deaths of two Italian humanitarian workers in Kabul, Afghanistan due to a malfunctioning heater. (17-2-06 0200 GMT Update) This has now been confirmed by the Italian media, but there is speculation as whether a heater was to blame or if the cause of death was poisoning. An investigation is ongoing and we'll update this post as new information becomes available. Condolences to the International Development Law Organisation (IDLO) and the friends and families of Iendi Iannelli and Stefano Siringo.

From a safety perspective, any fuel heater can be a risk in an enclosed space. Ensure rooms (especially sleeping quarters) have sufficient ventilation or better yet, use portable battery-powered carbon monoxide detectors with alarms.


Post a Comment

<< Home